Friday, April 27, 2012

Ressurection

I may need a larger fly tying table..
Several weeks have gone by since I have sat in front of my vice to focus on serious fly tying.  After losing two full fly boxes and uncountable tying time, I have decided to build a new box.  Since my only remaining trout box is getting suffocated with a cocktail of chewed up flies and new flies, I am now overdue for a total re haul.  I am beginning with terrestrial bugs (mainly because I'm tired of small flies) and my first pattern is the Chernobyl Ant.  This pattern is one goofy looking fly, almost cartoon looking.  My interest in this fly is the simplicity of the materials and the high floating nature of the material.  It is basically all foam with rubber legs.  The hook that I am using is not ideal.. I'm trying to use up my TMC 300's and while it is working decent, the fly looks slightly elongated.  Something like a TMC 5263 may be more ideal.  I will try several variations and some other teresstrail patterns that imitate hoppers, ants and beetles.  Then, I will resume the standard dry fly fare and load up on nymphs, midges and emergers.

The box that I am using is a Cliff's Super Days Worth. Since I had a $25 off coupon at Orvis that was about to expire I purchased this box and the Bugger Beast box.  One box was basically free, so I'm not complaining.  The Super Days Worth is interesting because it is a well organized box with a flipping page and a strong magnetic nymph compartment with several dividers.  This box should hold more than enough flies and keep them organized.

After I'm finished with this box, I shall post a more comprehensive review of it.  I just cannot bring myself to loading up on commercially tied flies.  For me, it is a satisfying feeling to catch fish on my own patterns (or my friends), especially when it is your own (or my friends) variation or design.  

To be continued...




No comments:

Post a Comment