Thursday, August 23, 2012

Grind

Went out to MVL with Brett today to check up on our local bass fishery. Since my last outing with Charles, I noticed the juvenile bass have outgrown their "trout" sized shape and into beer belly bass. They are defiantly on the feed and we are not only getting quantity but quality as well.

Even with the onslaught of summer letting up, the bass were still holding in the shade and under structure. Since it has been as windy as the plains of Mongolia, I have returned to gear and
plastics to make my life a little easier.

I've been teaching Brett some basics of bass fishing with spin gear and plastics. His catch rate has been increasing and understanding of rigging and fish handling are improving. Brett had his first quality bass out of MVL today while hook setting, playing and properly landing the bass all on his own. It was a proud moment for both him and I.

I had a few memorable moments of my own. One in particular was sight casting a rather muscle bound large mouth hunkered under a dock. I made a perfect cast that I may never have been able to recreate if I tried a hundred times. The anticipation of the take pumped adrenaline. My senses heightened and reaction time on edge.
I watched the shadow of the hulk suddenly shift, knowing what it was in pursuit of. The take was explosive and my Okuma SST UL bent into a frown.
My reel screamed like cats in heat and I dialed her in to a quite purr. While focused on fighting and landing the beast, I had neglected to watch my surrounding. We were on a collision course with the dock and while sharply turning the boat, the angle of my line became obscure and the bass spit the hook, looked at me eye to eye and plunged back into the deep. The bass was easily pushing 5lbs and skin was dark as night with turquoise patterns that looked like a lightning storm.

A few more great bass were lost on my part, while the juveniles practically jumped into my hands. It was great fishing nonetheless.

Next up... Return to the Golden Trout Wilderness for some Fly Fishing adventure!






No comments:

Post a Comment