| Finicky Browns were abound on the Lower O. |
Lower Owens
What does a fly fishing addict do when one gets a four day vacation from work? Drive far from home with a 4x4 loaded with fly fishing gear, beer, and food. Yes, I'm going to say that's the order of importance.
Made it to the Lower Owens river the day after Thanksgiving. It was as busy as Disneyland during Christmas. I was given a roughly drawn map by the fly shop guy to try a lesser fished area of the lower O. It was a narrow 4x4 trail that gave my paint job some new battle scars... however it led to a prime piece of water that had some eager browns rising for emerging blue winged olives. My first trout took a size 18 midge emerger, this trout was impressively strong and looked to be roughly 15". It gave me a few hard runs and unglued at my feet. Several more were caught on small robo PT's. Nothing large and spectacular, however they were all highly selective. It was technical and rewarding.
| Lower Owens River, CA |
The Upper river was packed! I drove the trail upstream for miles before I could find somewhere to fish. Surprisingly the wind was calm and the day was warm. Around 1pm a BWO hatch persisted until approx. 3pm. Only a few fish were rising in the section that I fished. Most fish caught on dry flies were dinks. Some giants from Crowley Lake were scattered in the upper river (I spooked several). I had a few rainbow trout take a tungsten teddy fly and a size 24 z-midge. At the end of all our hard work, Erika and I had beer and lunch on the tailgate of my truck, overlooking the river. That alone was worth the drive to get away from the socal madness.
| Upper Owens River, CA |
No comments:
Post a Comment