Originally, I had intentions to explore the south fork of the Kern river in search for large brown trout this weekend. It has been a few years since I have fished the south fork and I remember monstrosities that lived within. Reading that the water level is frighteningly low throughout most of the south fork, I decided to abandon that adventure for another year. My most recent fascination has been focused on the Trinity, for my longtime quest for Steelhead Trout and Chinook Salmon. Being from southern California, it is difficult to find the time or finances to pursue a proper steelhead adventure. Instead, I get to quench my thirst for fly fishing on some beautiful local creeks. Always in search for that hidden giant.
 |
| The water level was low for the most part. These boulders were nearly submerged not long ago. |
Overall, the fishing was challenging. Since the water was shallow, the fish were on edge and spooked easily. Approaching the water had to be careful and a gentle fly presentation was demanded from these fish. I managed two brown trout, one was a juvenile and the other was mature and had the signature markings and color of a quality brown trout. All fish were caught on dry flies and released.
 |
| A forest of conifers, consisting of Big-cone Spruce, Sugar Pine, and White Fir. |
We took the ski-lift up to the mt baldy notch for our sunset dinner reservations. This is the first time I have seen this area of the mountain devoid of snow. This is my favorite local mountain to snowboard after a massive snow storm.
 |
| Colorful lichen and a gnarled root decorate this rock ledge. |
 |
| Halfway to the top. Its about a 20min ride one way. |
 |
| Blazing star at the baldy notch with a pollinator. |
|
|
We ended the day with a few cold one's and a nice steak dinner at the baldy notch. The enchanting tunes of Hawaiian music set a relaxing mood and as far as I knew, I was thousands of miles from home.
 |
| sun setting at the notch. |
No comments:
Post a Comment