Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Unicorn Trout

A rare colored rainbow.  Even the pelvic fins were a rare translucent form.
Since exploring a new stretch of water in my local mountains this past weekend I've been captivated by a truly rainbow colored trout.  As I stood above a shallow run, my eyes were captured by colors of aquamarine and sapphire blue oscillating  in the hypnotic flow of the water.  Never have I seen such striking colors in our mountain creeks.  As Erika and Charles stood watch, I stealthy approached the trout from downstream.  With a blink of my eyes the trout had vanished... While many fine trout were caught this day, the unicorn trout haunted me all day and night.  I had to return.

It took me three attempts to hunt this trout and I finally made it rise to my size 12 orange legged stimulator.  What a fitting colored trout for the fourth of July! It was more spectacular than any firework display could offer me.  The trout shimmered in the clear water like a hologram as it slowly slithered out of my hand and back into the depths.  All I can say is that I left the creek that day with a big smile. 

A fine trout Erika caught all on her own.  Awesome job!

Small but beautiful.  Reminds me of the Kern River Rainbows.
One stout socal trout.







Erika working upstream.

My main bug.  The rocks were loaded with size 8 stone fly casings.

Delphinium cardinalis
  
Calochortus plummerae    
Caddis larva. Approx. size 16-18.  The body is olive green with a black head.

I've had three days of glory on my local trout stream despite some unnecessary obstacles along the way... such as attempting to tow out a dug in truck about twice the size of mine... and nearly shattering my windshield for payment of my effort.  Happy Independence Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment