The plan was to backpack a short ways into the wild trout section of the Kern River. Tuck and Joseph were to meet us on the river sometime in the evening. Erika had some red and white lacey string to mark our campsite. I told Tuck to stop when he finds lingerie string hanging from one of the trees. By midnight, beams of light and muffled chatter rattled Erika awake. A shoulder shove later, I was awake and disoriented. We figured it was the guys and I scrabbled up the trail and began running. Nearly forty five minutes later our fishing party is finally united. A few Sierra Nevada's and a few hours later our fishing adventure begins.
The first evening prior to meeting with Tuck and Joseph had phenomenal dry fly fishing. I only fished about one hour that evening. Between 7pm-8pm one of the largest Caddis hatches I have ever witnessed unfolded in front of me. Countless trout were rising, tail whipping, jumping in a feeding frenzy. My hands trembled as I couldn't seem to tie my knots fast enough. A tan size 16 deer hair caddis tied on a TMC 2312 did the trick.
With the epic hatch I had experienced the prior evening, I was expecting legendary dry fly fishing all day. By mid morning, yellow sallies, golden stone flies, caddis, sulphur duns were all buzzing around. Yet.. not a single rise. The air temp was already pushing into the high 80's. By noon the temperature must have already hit 100 degrees F. But lots of bugs.
| Golden Stonefly |
| Yellow Sally |
| PMD |
| Talon Scars |
We were entertained by hundreds of swirling caddis surrounding a Black Diamond Apollo light, as the center piece of our night.
No comments:
Post a Comment