Wednesday, February 6, 2013
Fish-Skull Sculpin Helmet
Without much luck with the articulated rainbow trout pattern, I decided to try out the sculpin helmets from Fish-Skull to offer something different. They are weighted heads that provide a somewhat realistic profile. These flies are much heavier than the trout patterns I tied earlier this season. They should sink deeper into the water column where I think the large bass may be holding. Since Shad is not present in LMV, I can only assume that the bass are preying on blue gill, small catfish and trout. I suppose these would most resemble a catfish.
Hook: Gamakatsu SP11-3L3H size 1/0
Head: Fish-Skull Sculpin Helmet - Olive large
Body: Olive barred rabbit strips (I tied one with rubber legs, choose whatever color)
I used 30lb mono for a weed guard and tied the fly hook point up.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment