I've been busy reloading my supply of various warm water and saltwater fly patters since losing my bugger beast earlier in the winter season. The bugger beast is a great home-base fly box, however it was a bit large to store in a boat bag. I spoke with Matt Cassel, owner of Cliff Outdoors about some upcoming products. After telling him how I lost my bugger beast box, and all its flies, he offered me a good deal on a replacement. This time, I decided to try out the bugger beast jr box. It's the perfect size to store in a boat bag and holds enough flies for a long day on the water.
Some of my new flies had a chance to swim at LMV last week. It wasn't hard to convince Charles to join me on the lake at the spur of a moment. Even though the fishing was slow, we both managed to get some pulls from big flies. I was using my Sage XP 8wt with a 7" articulated trout fly for most of the afternoon. The 400gr RIO Outbound short pulled the fly down to the depths reasonably fast, however my impatience is still craving faster sink time. While slowly stripping one of the deep drop-off''s, my line stopped and pulled hard momentarily. As soon as I set the hook, the fly was let go. Most of the bass takes were subtle and difficult to detect. Next time I will have to count down a few moments before hook setting.
After switching to my 6wt with the time tested purple bugger, I almost immediately connected in our favorite cove. It was a good sized bass with a slim belly, larger than the usual dink bass. I suspect that the bass pre-spawn is just beginning and hopefully more bass begin to move around to forage.
Charles was facing the possibility of smelling skunk. With only mere minutes left before lake closing, Charles connects with a feisty tail walker trout. These are the famed hard fighting stocker's that he had laughed about since last trout season. These full finned, football shaped trout fight like gladiators. It eventually came unbuttoned near boat-side. While not technically a total skunk, I think he walked away with a half smile. Hopefully the lake is shaping up for a good season!
![]() |
| First Large Mouth Bass of the year. |

No comments:
Post a Comment