Saturday, April 13, 2013

Return to the Salt


The original plan to fish in San Diego was sabotaged.  I was really looking forward to freshwater bass fishing, however the trip would not have been the same without the other fish bums.  With the weather making another cold change, Charles and I went budget fly fishing at Newport bay.  Supposedly the tide swing was small but decent. The morning was cool and misty, the water smooth as glass. 

Charles knows this water.  Who needs maps and depth finders when you have experience.  Despite the weak tide swing he managed two halibut and a spotted bay bass.  I worked hard as usual, but after a fly change and relentless casting I finally hooked up with my first spottie on a fly.  It pulled my pram like a little tugboat during the fight.  I can only imagine what a 5lber would do!

Overall, it was a good morning with a new species added to my list.  I just hope our catch rate increases sometime soon.  Local bass fishing shouldn't be as hard as Deschutes river steelheading.


No comments:

Post a Comment