Friday, April 5, 2013

Stubborn as a Bass


Largemouth Bass have been pretty stubborn to me lately.  Being stubborn myself, I set out on another bass hunt with Charles after work.  This time I decided to fish a lake that is just down the road from my house.  Launching the pram here is a breeze.  We were on the water in record time and the wind was surprisingly calm despite the ominous clouds above us. 

I decided to fish my Sage Flight 6wt with rio grand floating line.  The lake is relatively shallow and I felt that sinking line was unnecessary as I was hoping to fish a popper as well.  We made several drifts in a cove with only a mere short strike.  I changed the color of my fly from black - rust - finally olive and black.  The fly is a woolly bugger mutation that I tied specifically for swampy looking water.  It did the trick.. I was on a solid 2lb LMB and possibly among the strongest bass I've fought on a fly rod. 

Charles contributed a fly patch for the pram

It was another rough day despite catching and releasing a nice local bass.  Hopefully with more stable weather this bass fishery will be more consistent.  The wind really began to pick up as we were getting ready to leave.  Dark clouds were moving in and socking in around our local mountain range.  Hopefully those dark clouds bring more water to our watershed.  The trout really need it for a good spawn this year.


No comments:

Post a Comment