If only Tuck got in on the carp action today... the water was up and the fish were in a feeding frenzy. They were scattered throughout the river with tails sticking out of mud clouds. If it weren't for the sewage smell of the water, the scattered garbage and the sound of car horns, this would be a pristine fishery. It is actually quite scenic, minus the above mentioned unnatural elements. The river is relatively free of underwater obstacles and the carp can run free without tangles.
 |
| 4lb carp. First carp of the day. |
The 8lb fluorocarbon proved its worth today as I got more takes without breaking off. The first carp was about 4lbs and ran like hell right off the bat. It gave up relatively fast and decided it had a second wind when I tried removing the hook.
 |
| Another young LMB. Where are the parents?? These guys can scrap regardless of their size |
Again, I was slaying the young LMB left and right. Maybe I'll have to fish a streamer to connect with a bass of substantial size.
 |
| The largest carp I've caught to date. My size 11 rubber boot is not even half the size of the fish. |
I noticed a huge tail tailing out of the water about 30' in front of me. With the wind blowing, it was going to be a tricky cast. It took about three casts until I was able to place the fly a few feet in front of its nose. I stripped the line tight and slowed my retrieve to a crawl. It wasn't long until the carp shifted over the fly for a take. The line went tight and with a soft strip set, the giant launched like a rocket. The reel was screaming and spinning out of control. My fly line quickly unloaded and the carp must have been 80' away before I knew it. I looked down at the reel and it was near the backing.
 |
| Beached carp |
After at least 10 minutes of fighting, the tired giant came in for landing. Sometimes I forget how lucky we are here in southern California. We have such a variety of fly fishing options it can be head spinning. But out of all the options, my passion for casting dry flies on a mountain creek cannot be substituted or forgotten.
No comments:
Post a Comment