With nothing more than my Sage Vantage 370-4 and a single size 16 olive EHC, I made a quick retreat into the tranquil mountains. This is one of my favorite local creeks, mostly because it holds some rather large trout.. if you can find them. This was more of a scouting mission than a dedicated fish exploration. I wanted to see if the champions of this creek still existed. I fished a few small pools and runs along the way and caught some nice trout.
| blogspot keeps rotating my pictures for some reason. Otherwise, this is a beautiful trout that leaped to take my caddis. |
As I approached the pocket water where I caught the 13incher with Tuck, I noticed something that sort of looked like a rock but could have been a trout as well. It was a difficult cast with fallen trees and branches in my casting path. With stealth and low profile I approached the water with caution. As I peeked into the hole I noticed several large shadows move in and out of their feeding lane. This had to be a short gentle cast, and with trout this large they had to be old and wise. The first cast was clean yet no strike. The second cast got tangled on a twig, and my chance was blown. No matter how careful I was, the sound of snapping twigs and branches echoed in the canyon. I waited about 20min for the trout to resume feeding, however it never happened. I had to beat the traffic rush, so I decided to trail run back to my truck. At least I had a tranquil time and I much needed retreat before heading out to Tahoe. By Sunday afternoon, I will be on big trout water with wild Bill.
No comments:
Post a Comment