Sometimes you need to emerge from the ashes and rise a champion. With the last defeat at Lake MV, I was demoralized to return anytime soon. The water was green with algae bloom the last time Charles and I fished here. We invested at least three hours of fishing that day and my one juvenile bass came unbuttoned a few feet from the boat. This time we came prepared with a topographic map of the lake and an arsenal of rods for top water and sub surface fishing.
I was fortunate enough to purchase the Sage DS2 5wt that Charles built a decade ago. He had just finished the epoxy and it looks good. This rod is paired with a Galvan OB3 and RIO mainstream WF5 and it balances and casts surprisingly well. I used it for top water with a roughly tied Gurgler pattern. The top water action was not happening and it wasn't long until I switched to my 6wt to throw a size 8 olive clouser with large prismatic eyes. The water was clear to the bottom of the shallows (15-20') and juvenile bass were scattered. An occasional monster bass would come cruising by but stayed tight lipped. There were also a few steelhead size Nebraska Tailwalkers that cruised through the shallows however none were eager to take a fly.
We arrived at our favorite cove approx. 2pm and fished here until nearly 4pm. The bass were active and striking between these hours although it was difficult to get a solid connect. I fished the underwater structure using various strips and pauses, retrieve rates, etc.. the most productive was quick short strips. I landed the first bass of the day, it was a dinky 10" bass that fought like a bass twice its size. I was really surprised it was as small as it was... however from my experience fishing for trout, the little guys never give up.
As we were about to leave this cove, the trolling motor was puttering out. It is frustrating to have a boat out and have it die in the heat of battle. Precious time was being lost as this was the most productive hour of the day. Shortly before limping back to the boat dock, Charles connected with a nearly 2lb redear sunfish! Unfortunately this redear and the juvenile LMB were the only fish at hand for five hours of hard fishing. After switching out trolling motors we used the map to fish some new territory. Only a few weak bumps were produced despite fishing the drop-offs and other fishy features. On the way out, we gave one last fight and we found where the monster sunfish were holding. Despite every attempt to fool or anger these fish, their mouths remained glued shut.
Once the weather becomes warmer and more stable, hopefully the fish become more active. We only had a two hour window when the fish were aggressive. At least we fought hard and you just never know when that 8lb bass is going to strike your fly. Until then... I wont give up on this lake.

No comments:
Post a Comment