 |
| One of a dozen juvenile bass caught while carping |
Now that my carp challenge with Tuck is over, I was long overdue for that cold beer that he owed me. Even though the fishing today was lousy, It was rewarding enough to be with some good fishing buddies to drink a cold one and share stories. The plan was to meet Tuck around 10am however I got there earlier to do some scouting with Charles. The morning was slightly cool, overcast and breezy. The overcast weather made the water dark and sight fishing for carp was difficult. I knew this was going to be a recipe for a carp challenge.
I fished a section while waiting for Tuck and I was immediately getting baby bass to strike like mad. Nearly every cast produced hits from these little monsters. They fought hard for there size and this was the first time I have ever seen this many bass come from this water. Now if only mom and pops would show themselves.. there is a rumor that a fly fisherman has caught an 8lb LMB here. I'd like to put that rumor to the test.
 |
| The invisible man with a 6lb carp. |
The wind was ripping the surface of the water by the time Tuck arrived. I gave him some rubber legged prince aggravator flies that I tied the night before and we headed down to the river. We worked section after section with no results. Only a few carp were sighted and the water was lower than it has ever been. The lower water level created sand bars and islands which made wading and casting easier, however the carp seemed to have dissipated like ghosts. It wasn't long until Charles connected with his first carp of the day. The fish weighed in at 6lbs and gave him some hard pulling runs. Tuck and I moved downstream to get in on some action of our own. I sighted a tailing carp and presented my aggravator several times before it finally gave me a take. The carp took my fly hard and broke my tippet in seconds. This was a re-occurring theme for the rest of the day and I lost about four carp due to old tippet or bad knots. I don't know what the deal was but it was frustrating enough for me to buy a new spool of 8lb fluorocarbon at the end of the day. Hopefully this does not happen again!
Unfortunately, Tuck didn't even get a mere look at any of his well presented flies. I guess you have to earn your right of passage on this river. It took me about four tries to finally land a carp and I had to go through hell to get it. Even carp master Charles was having a hard time on this particular day. Your time will come Tuck, and hopefully we can drink some cold ones and hear of your adventures in British Columbia when you return. Good luck buddy, we'll see you in a few months.
 |
| Tuck casting to tailing carp. And wet wading in sewage water... I hope all your shots are current dude. |
No comments:
Post a Comment