Friday, February 1, 2013

Poor Man's Stripping Basket


My experience fly fishing the surf has always been somewhat disappointing.  I probably wasn't fishing with the right fly, and I seemed to always miss a high tide.  Most importantly, I never invested in a stripping basket.  With less than five bucks and a few tools, I created a poor man's stripping basket.

The items and steps are simple.  There are probably other similar patterns out there, and there are most definitely better baskets than mine.  I haven't even taken this out on the surf yet, however it fits me comfortably and holds line stripped off my reel.

Materials I used:
  •  14Lx10Wx7D Plastic Container (I got this one at Lowe's for less than $4)
  • Compression Strap (whatever length your waist may be)
  • Dry Wall Anchors (I used 5- 2" anchors staggered)
  • Cordless Drill (1" & 1/2" spade drill bit)
    •  1/2" spade drill bit for draining holes on the bottom of the basket and along the side for wind penetration.
    • 1" spade bit for the compression strap holes.
    • 3/16" bit for dry wall anchors.
  • Gorilla Tape to cover the compression strap holes on both sides (I cut a slit into the tape and pulled the strap through). I did this so the strap doesn't slip and slide through the holes.  
  • Slap stickers on it for a little flare.  

The lid can still be attached to the top and works good for holding fly boxes and other odds and ends until you get to the water.

I'm looking forward to searching for Corbina and catching them on a fly.  Tuck sent me a great link that got me fired up for Corbina on the fly!

http://www.danblanton.com/blog/corbina-on-the-fly-by-richard-jacobsen/


1 comment:

  1. You need to drill out a lot more holes on the bottom. Drill as many as you can without compromising the structural integrity.

    ReplyDelete