Sunday, May 13, 2012

DC Black Magic Beetle

My final version of the Black Magic Beetle.  The trout seemed to respond well to this pattern. The takes were ultra aggressive.

Original design.

Bottom view

 I was inspired from yesterday's exploration to tie up some beetle patterns.  There was a considerable population of darkling beetles crawling around the rocks along the creek.  These bugs must be a good source of protein for the trout.  This is my experimental fly and it will probably evolve when I get a few materials that I think would make it better.  A few parts that I would like to change are the antennae since all I really had were marabou fibers.  These fibers will probably tear in no time.  I will have to find something more durable.  I'll probably add a small bright indicator behind the thorax as well. I cant wait to try it out. 

Hook: TMC2312 (I used size 12)
Thread:  UTC 140 black or brown
Body: Micro UV Polar Chenille UV Black
Abdomen&Thorax: 2mm black fly foam
Legs: Round rubber legs
Antennae:Black Krystal Flash
Indicator: Hi-vis fly foam.  I used orange and it is highly visible on the water.

1 comment:

  1. For the indicator try using yellow, white or red foam or yarn. For the antennae you can use black krystal flash.

    ReplyDelete