Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Back for Seconds



I was hungry for a second serving on the Upper Kern River since the previous week's catch left me craving for more.  This time I headed up to Kernville with Charles and his buddy Ed.  We learned where the trout were holding from the previous week and focused on the same habitat and tactics.  Baetis nymphs in size 18 was still my key producer while stonefly nymphs size 10-12 were working as well.  There was only a short window when the trout were rising for BWO emergers and duns.  I managed a solid 14" rainbow on a size 18 parachute bwo on my Sage 3wt while the majority were caught on nymphs on my 5wt.

A handful of healthy and wild KRR were caught and released, and I even had a double on at one point.  Unfortunately my 6x tippet hold up to the challenge!


Caught on size 18 "buggy one" copper john

Caught on size 18 parachute bwo
Charles and Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment