Wednesday, March 20, 2013
Snowmelt
I spent four days in the Sierra, fly fishing in some technical big water demanding the superhero within. Like Icarus, I ignored every warning sign that made me think twice. Instead of incinerating my wings from the solar flares of the sun, my spirits were crushed from increasing whitewater the further I pushed myself up the mountain.
My motivation lied within the fabled early season skwala stonefly and march brown mayfly hatch. Evidence of the medium sized stonefly was attached on several boulders along the river bank. The exoskeletons were roughly about a size 10. It looked like we were a tad late in the season. With the unstable weather ranging from arctic cold to summer heat it was difficult to time this adventure.
Over the course of three days we landed roughly one trout per day, not counting the bumps and self releases. A size 10 stonefly nymph was definitely the fly on the trout's menu as all my trout were taken on tungsten weighted stones. The snowmelt initiated some murk and white water, making dry fly fishing a mere fantasy. Although, there was a mysterious blue wing micro hatch on a single run. Charles managed a handful of rainbows after stripping down his nymph rig to tie on a size 18 comparadun.
Even though the fishing was tough the scenery was about as beautiful as it could be. California poppies and Lupine were in full bloom, blanketing the mountainside in a orchestra of color. I was in good company with Erika and Charles and each night was rewarded with a gourmet dinner prepared by a gourmet sportsman.
By day 3 we threw in the towel and moved to a southern Sierra river that we were more accustomed to. Having only a day on the river we focused on the prime cuts. I managed my first Sacramento sucker fish and lost a ogre strength fish of unknown species early in the morning. I guided Erika most of the afternoon and managed to get her on the only trout landed on that day. Charles connected with Hog Johnson yet lost him on a strong upriver battle into the rapids.
It was a beautiful weekend and thanks to everyone that made it happen. And thanks to the feisty wild rainbow that hit my fly like a trash truck, fought hard and jumped multiple times on my birthday. I couldn't have been given a better gift.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment